Monday, August 30, 2010

Lucy's First "Before School Starts for the Year" Daddy-Daughter Date


My dad started a wonderful tradition with us kids. He would take each of us out on a daddy-daughter or daddy-son date before the start of each school year. He would talk to us about our goals for the year and give us incentives to do well. These dates bring back such strong, great memories for me that I really wanted Jim to do it for Lucy too. He was totally agreeable to the idea (of course)!

They ended up going to a pizza parlor and enjoying a meal together. Then he took her to our favorite bookstore and read some books to her...her choice. This brings back memories of our second date. After we went to dinner we had time before our movie was going to start so we went to the bookstore and sat together and would pick a magazine to read together...ahhhh....

The second part of the tradition was to get a father's blessing before school starts each year. Lucy and I both got blessings this year since I will be homeschooling her. The blessings are so obviously from Heavenly Father. I know this because several concerns I was having (which I had not expressed to Jim) were addressed and appeased by the blessing. I love my husband dearly. I am so happy that I found the "noble elder of Israel" that my patriarchal blessing told me I would find. Thanks sweetheart! I love you!

2 comments:

DeAnn said...

I love this tradition.
I totally didn't recognize Jim! I don't think I've ever seen his face! And he's losin' weight too.

Season and Isabella said...

Awww I love this! What a neat idea! What did you do while they were out?, that's what I want to know. ;)