As I have read through my friends blogs this new year I have noticed that many of them have chosen a word for their new year. A word to focus on in their goals, a word to become, a word to incorporate into their lives. It has left me thinking and pondering what would my word be if I were to choose one. After many days, and some awakenings at night, I have chosen my “2009 Word.”
Pronunciation [kuh m-pleet]
adjective, verb, -plet⋅ed, -plet⋅ing.
1. having all parts or elements; lacking nothing; whole; entire; full: a complete set of Mark Twain's writings.
2. finished; ended; concluded: a complete orbit.
3. having all the required or customary characteristics, skills, or the like; consummate; perfect in kind or quality: a complete scholar.
4. thorough; entire; total; undivided, uncompromised, or unmodified: a complete victory; a complete mess.
5. (of persons) accomplished; skilled; expert.
–verb (used with object)
6. to make whole or entire: I need three more words to complete the puzzle.
7. to make perfect: His parting look of impotent rage completed my revenge.
8. to bring to an end; finish: Has he completed his new novel yet?
9. to consummate.
Anyone who knows me well knows that I am a great starter. I can plan and execute anything…and I mean anything…but when the days go by and things get a little boring, or hard, I tend to send them off into lala land (AKA the unfinished projects cupboard in the craft room, the garage (in a box), under the bed, the black hole we call our office, or swept under a rug in my brain). Thus, I have craft projects, weight loss projects, gardening projects, sewing projects, organizing projects, reading/studying projects, etc. that have piled up. This year is going to be my “Complete” year. One of my resolutions is to finish one unfinished project each month in 2009. That might not get them all, but it will knock out at least a dozen of them.
Part of the thought process has made me think about new projects in a new light as well. Many questions must be answered before I start something new: Do I really want to start that project? Is it pertinent to my eternal salvation? Is it keeping me from doing something that is really important? What am I avoiding by starting this project?
I will try to be accountable by reporting progress here…and with COMPLETE as my word of choice I am in great hopes that I will finish strong in December 2009 and not just peter off in May or June….